Monday, March 16, 2009

Long Day’s Journey To Florence

DSCF2383 I am exhausted and rightfully so – I woke up Saturday morning in Houston at 5 :30 a.m.and arrived at my pensione in Florence at about 1 p.m. on Sunday (minus six hours difference, made it 7 a.m. in Houston.)

To say I felt a bit disoriented  when I left Hotel Fiorita, my  pensione to tour the city, would be an understatement.  I got lost, found my way again and then wandered some more. Basically Sunday was “take it easy day”, in order to give my body and soul a chance to rest. I went to a outdoor flea market, filled with antiques and junk. I strolled through a fort and an exhibition on Leonardo da Vinci’s inventions. More in town, I went to the outdoor market and discovered lots of leather and woven goods, but nothing I had to have.  I ate silky smooth, bursting with flavor gelato. Then I picnicked on prosciutto, a cheese made of 50% gorgonzola and 50% marscopne, Chianti wine, fresh bread, and fruit.

I made it through the first crisis of the trip – a shower. My room is small, but I have stayed in smaller. In it is a sink and shower and the private toilet is in the hall. When I woke up from my nap, I decided to shower, the only problem was I could only get cold water. The water was frigid and I was debated if I should just do a sponge bath and forget it for tonight, when I realized I could get hot water out of the sink…duh, I needed to moved the handle in the shower in the other direction. I also used this strange contraption, which is a hairdryer.

Tomorrow I start my touring in earnest. Tonight, I go to sleep with freshly washed hair and body, and a belly full of simple but good food and wine. I am happy.

No comments: